As we come to the end of the academic year it means we prepare to say a huge farewell to some of our children starting school. As children complete their transitions from Nursery to School we tend to forget just how big a step in a child’s life it is.
Children are such natural adapters to situations, but we forget how much we actually do to help them to prepare for these milestones in life.
How we prepare a child to transition can impact their ideas of learning throughout their life.
If they do not adapt well, learning can be impacted in a negative way, if the transition is a positive one then children will have a positive attitude to learning.
It is our job as Early Years Practitioners to help support the child and the family through a positive transition.
Transitions to School
So What do we do at Little Achievers to support transitions?
– Strong links with local Primary schools enable us to build a relationship with the school and teachers
– Introduce school uniforms from local schools into the nursery environment so children will know what to expect
– Introduce photos of the schools for the children to explore
– ‘Ready for School’ books read to children so they know what to expect from a school day
– Walks in the local community to see the schools and what they look like
– Allowing teachers in for visits to meet the children they will be taking in to their class in September
– Completed transition documents to give teachers an understanding of where the child is at with their learning and development
– Letting children develop their independence by giving them more responsibility
What can parents do to support transitions?
– Talk to your child about what is going to happen and what to expect
– Allow your child to express their feelings as they may be worried or anxious
– Be available to be involved in the transition
The transition to school is an important one, but remember, children transition all the time in life. The transition to starting nursery, moving age rooms, moving house etc.
Its important we support all of these and communicate effectively with children, keeping them informed, and being there for them emotionally.
Check out our Instagram posts for updates on our nurseries:
Little Achievers Urban Forest School
Little Achievers Nursery in the Park
Little Achievers Forest School Nursery
Little Achievers Day Nursery